How to cancel your Netflix account might depend on how you signed up. We’ll teach you how to get rid of Netflix, step-by-step, depending on which devices you use.
Netflix is the most popular online streaming service for TV and movies, but there are plenty of reasons you may want to get rid of it. For one, the monthly cost can be expensive, especially if you have other subscriptions. For another, you may not agree with new features Netflix springs on its users, like these patches for children that encourage binge-watching.
Just a heads-up that some of the services we’re reviewing here have affiliate partnerships with us, so we may earn a commission if you visit one of them and buy something. You can read more about how this works at https://techboomers.com/how-to-support-techboomers.
Whatever the reason, if you want to delete your Netflix account and stop paying for your subscription, we can show you how. The method you choose may depend on how you signed up for Netflix, or which device(s) you are currently using it on. In this article, we’ll provide you with all the information you need, including:
- Method 1: How to cancel Netflix in any web browser
- Method 2: How to cancel Netflix through the app (iOS/Android)
- Method 3: How to cancel Netflix on iTunes/AppleTV
After the instructions, we also answer some very important questions about canceling your account:
- If I cancel, can I still keep watching for the rest of this month?
- What happens to my viewing activity when I cancel?
- 2 other things to know about cancelling your Netflix account
- Best alternatives to Netflix for streaming TV and movies
If you’re ready, we’ll start with the simplest way to cancel Netflix, using your Internet browser on a computer.
Method 1: How to cancel Netflix in any web browser
Pro Tip: If you always leave your Netflix account signed in on your computer, go to Netflix.com/CancelPlan to skip down to Step #4.
1. Open your web browser of choice and visit Netflix.com.
If you’re using your computer, choose any Internet browser you regularly use, and visit Netflix.com.
2. Select your viewing profile.
From the list of available options, select your profile.
3. Click your account icon in the top-right corner, and click Account from the drop-down menu.
To access your profile, click the matching profile icon in the top-right corner. A drop-down menu will appear, and from there, click Account.
4. Click Cancel Membership in the top-left corner.
At the top of the screen, click the grey Cancel Membership button.
5. Click the blue Finish Cancellation button (and nothing else).
This page is meant to confuse you into continuing with your Netflix subscription by giving you multiple options. If you’re sure you want to delete your account, do nothing except click the blue button labelled “Finish Cancellation.”
If you want to stay up-to-date on what Netflix is offering, click the check box above the button labelled “Yes, please email me about newly added TV shows & movies and Netflix offers.”
If you don’t pay for the basic plan and you want to consider downgrading your subscription, click the blue button on the right side of the screen labelled “Downgrade My Plan.”
And you’re done! If you want to do this on mobile, the next method will explain the few minor differences.
Method 2: How to cancel Netflix through the app (iOS/Android)
- Open the Netflix app on your mobile device.
- In the bottom menu, tap More on the right.
- Tap Account.
- Scroll down and tap the grey Cancel Membership
- Tap Finish Cancellation (and nothing else). Do not tap the check box unless you want email notifications.
Like with the desktop, you will have the option to downgrade your plan at this point. If you don’t already have the “Basic Plan” with Netflix, you can tap Downgrade My Plan to pay less, or you can tap Compare All Plans to see what your options are.
If you used iTunes to sign up for Netflix, how you cancel your account may be different, even if you are using an iPhone or iPad to do it. Below is how you can make that happen with iOS.
Method 3: How to cancel Netflix on iTunes/AppleTV
If you use iTunes billing to pay for your Netflix, you will need to access your iTunes account to cancel the subscription. Follow these basic steps for the fastest way to cancel your Netflix subscription through iTunes:
- Open the Netflix app.
- Tap More in the bottom menu.
- Tap Account.
- Scroll down and tap the Cancel Membership
- You will be re-directed to iTunes, where you will need to sign into your account.
- Select Netflix from your list of subscriptions.
- Tap Cancel Subscription.
- Tap Confirm.
If you need more help, or want another way to cancel your iTunes Netflix subscription, check out this Netflix help article.
If I cancel, can I still keep watching for the rest of this month?
Netflix allows you to keep using it until the end of your billing cycle, so you can continue to watch until the day before your next payment would have occurred. For example, if you cancel your subscription on March 1st, but your next payment would occur on March 18th, you will be able to continue using Netflix until March 17th.
What happens to my Viewing Activity when I cancel?
Your viewing activity will be saved for 10 months after you cancel your account – this is because Netflix believes you will be inclined to re-activate your account in that time. That way, if you re-start your membership, you can pick up with the shows and movies right where you left off with them.
After the 10 months is over, your information will be deleted, so you will need to create a new account, and start your binge-watching from scratch.
2 other things to know about cancelling your Netflix account
1. What happens to the gift card or promotional balance on my account?
If you have remaining balances on your account, including any gift cards, you can continue to use Netflix until that balance runs out, no matter when you cancel your account. For example, if your Netflix is pre-paid for 3 months because of gift cards, you can still cancel today and continue to watch for three additional months.
2. What happens if I sign back into Netflix?
If you still have remaining days on your prepaid billing period – You can continue to use Netflix like normal until your next payment would be due.
If you cancelled within 10 months – You will be prompted to sign up again, and your viewing activity and preferences will all be accessible.
If you cancelled more than 10 months ago – You will be unable to sign in and will need to create a new account.
Best alternatives to Netflix for streaming TV and movies
Netflix may not be for you, but there are some great Netflix alternatives out there that you may want to consider:
- Amazon Prime Video – The streaming service brought to you by Amazon Prime – included in the price of Prime, and offers great original content.
Price: $99/year (included with an Amazon Prime subscription)
- Hulu – Offers a large library of TV shows and movies to choose from for a lower price than Netflix.
- HBO Now – Gain access to amazing HBO TV shows and movies, as well as HBO-exclusive content you can’t get anywhere else, all for one low monthly price.
If you want to learn more about these and 5 other great sites and apps for streaming, check out our article on the best sites like Netflix.
That’s all you need to know (and probably a lot more) about cancelling Netflix. If your problem with Netflix is that you no longer have a credit card, we can teach you how to get Netflix without a credit card here. If you want to learn more about the best streaming services online, check out our articles on watching TV and movies online.