If you’ve tried out Groupon.com and still think that you’re getting a raw deal from it, you can close your account on the website if you no longer want to use it. Unfortunately, there is no fast way to permanently delete a Groupon account; you must submit a request to their customer service team and have them delete your account for you.
Or you can just simply cut off newsletters from them – if that’s what’s bothering you – and keep your account in case you want to use it later (for example, to plan a fun and inexpensive date). Either way, we’ll help you get it done.
What this article will cover:
We’ll start with instructions on how to get fewer emails from Groupon, if that’s all you really want. If you want to delete your account right away, jump to the instructions here.
How to unsubscribe from Groupon emails
1. Go to the Groupon website and sign into your account.
Go to www.Groupon.com and click Sign In in the top-right corner of the screen.
Then, click in the box labeled “Email” and type in the email address that you signed up for Groupon with. Then, click in the box labeled “Password” and type in the password that you picked to protect your Groupon account. Finally, click the big Sign In button.
2. Click on your name to access your Groupon profile.
Next, click on your name (it will also sometimes say My Stuff) in the upper-right corner of the screen, or just move your mouse cursor over it and then select Account from the menu that appears.
3. Select the “Subscriptions” tab to manage your email preferences.
Once you’re on your profile page, click Subscriptions.
4. Deselect all the different types of newsletters you don’t want to receive, and then save your changes.
On this page, click the check boxes beside each of the newsletters you want to stop getting so that the green checkmark disappears (this shows that they’ve been deselected). As a shortcut, you can also just click the Unsubscribe from All Groupon Emails in the lower-right corner. When you’re done, click Save.
QUICK UNSUBSCRIBE — You can also click Unsubscribe at the bottom of most emails that you receive from Groupon to remove yourself from their mailing lists. Remember, though, that it may take up to a couple of days before you stop getting their emails as they process your request.
If having too many newsletters from Groupon in your email inbox isn’t the issue, here’s how to take things a step further and close your Groupon account.
How to delete your Groupon account in 5 easy steps
1. Log into your Groupon account.
The first thing you need to do is navigate inn your web browser to www.Groupon.com. Next, in the upper-right corner of the screen, click Sign In.
From here, fill in the “Email” and “Password” boxes by clicking in each respective one and typing in the information asked for. Then click the big Sign In button.
2. Access the Groupon help system
Click Help in the menu across the top of the screen.
3. State that your issue isn’t related to a specific Groupon order.
If you have already made a Groupon purchase, you will automatically be asked if you need help with your most recent order. Instead, click My Question Isn’t About an Order.
4. Ask to close your account, and indicate that you need more help.
On the next screen, click in the box labeled “Tell Us What’s Going On” and type in “delete account” (or something to that effect). Deactivating Your Groupon Account should appear as a suggested help topic; click on it.
Groupon will give you some suggestions on what you might want to do instead of deleting your account, such as unsubscribing from Groupon’s emails or deleting payment options from your Groupon account. If you still want Groupon to delete your account, click No, I Still Need Help instead.
5. Choose a method of contacting Groupon customer service to get help with closing the account.
You will be given some recommended contact options for reaching out to a Groupon customer service agent. You can click one of the recommended options to select it, or you can click one of the links below the recommendations to try a different way to connect.
From there, you just need to explain what you need to the customer service representative on the other end, and hopefully they will be able to help you get your account shut down.
How to reactivate your Groupon account if it closes
If your Groupon account was deactivated because you haven’t used it for a long time, you can use your Groupon account again. Whether it’s because you’ve had a change of heart or just want to brush the dust off it, the only way to reactive Groupon is to go through their customer service department.
Fortunately, that means the process isn’t that different from getting your account shuttered. Here’s what to do:
1. Navigate to Groupon.com and visit the customer support section.
Since you don’t have an active account anymore, you don’t have to worry about logging in. Just head to Groupon’s home page and click Help in the upper-right corner.
2. State that you want to ask a general question about Groupon.
Once you’re in the customer support section, click the “Click Here” below “I Don’t Have a Groupon Account” to access Groupon’s help wizard without needing to log in.
3. Ask about reactivating your account, and then say that you need more help to do it.
Once you’re in Groupon’s help wizard, click in the box marked “Tell Us What’s Going On” and type “reactivate account” (or something to that effect). You should get a suggestion titled Reactivating Your Account.
As you can see in the screenshot above, clicking it will explain why your account may have been deactivated, and that you need to contact customer service to fix it. Go ahead and do that by clicking No, I Still Need Help in the lower-right corner.
4. Pick a contact method for asking Groupon to help you reactivate your account.
Groupon will show you some recommended methods for getting a hold of someone in their customer service department. Click a recommended option to go with it, or click one of the other ones below the recommendations if you want to give something else a shot.
Whatever you choose, just explain that you previously had a Groupon account and want to get it back up and running again. The customer service agent on the other end should help you make that happen (though timing may vary based on your contact method choice).
Top 4 Groupon competitors for getting great deals
- Woot.com– The original “deal a day” website that launched in 2004 and is now owned by Amazon, Woot is known for the quirky humor of its branding as much as its sale offers. Its customer service isn’t bad, either.
- LivingSocial.com– Once one of Groupon’s top rivals, this local deal and recommendations website fell on hard times and was eventually bought out by Groupon in 2016. It still operates as a separate service for now, though.
- Ebates.com– While not a “daily deal” website in and of itself, Ebates can point you in the direction of sales going on at retailers around the Internet. As a bonus, if you shop through them, you can earn cash back on your purchases! Get paid to buy stuff!
- TravelZoo.com– A deal website specifically for travel accommodations, the offers they advertise are specially screened and curated to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth. So, you could say their customer service goes the extra mile (pun intended)!
That wraps up our lesson on how to close down your Groupon account. However, if you decided to stick with Groupon and just get fewer emails from them, we have some tips on how to use it more safely and avoid scams. Otherwise, we have even more suggestions on alternatives to Groupon if you like the concept but want to try something a bit different.