If you’re a Weebly user, and have decided that it is not fulfilling your wishes of creating your own custom website, you may be thinking it’s time to move on. There are also many competitors to Weebly out there like Wix and Jimdo that may have something to offer you, but whatever your reason, if you wish to wave goodbye to your Weebly account, here’s what you need to do.
To delete your Weebly account:
- Visit www.weebly.com in your web browser.
- Click Log In to your Weebly account.
- Click your name in the top-right corner of the page, and then click Account from the drop-down menu.
- Click Permanently Delete Your Weebly Account under your basic profile information heading.
- Click Confirm to delete your account.
That’s all there is to it! Weebly will take care of the back-end work for you. Just in case, though, here’s a little more detail concerning how the main process works.
Detailed instructions for how to cancel your account
1. Go to www.weebly.com in your web browser and click Log In in the top-right corner.
2. If you signed up using your Facebook or Google account, you can click one of the two buttons on the left to log into Weebly with your respective account. (You can skip the rest of this step).
Otherwise, click in the box labelled “Email” and type in the email address that you used to sign up. Then, click in the box labelled “Password” and type in the password that you chose to protect your Weebly account with. You may also want to click the check box labelled “Remember Me” to unmark it if you are using a computer that someone else may use, just so they don’t get easy access to your account credentials. Then click Log In.
3. Once you’re on the dashboard for your website, click on your name in the top-right corner, and then click Account in the menu that drops down.
4. Once you’re in the menu for your account settings, under your basic profile information, click Permanently Delete Your Weebly Account.
5. A window will pop up asking if you are sure that you want to delete your account.
If you want, you can click in the box labelled “How Can We Improve?” and type in some suggestions for how Weebly could be more user-friendly in the future. You can also click the check box labelled “Notify Me of Future Improvements” to unmark it if you don’t want any emails from Weebly in the future. Then click Confirm to cancel your Weebly account.
Notes when cancelling your account
Deleting a Weebly account is not quite as simple as deleting most other accounts you have with other popular websites. Here is our list of a few tips if you’re planning on deleting your account, and some things we think you need to know:
- Can I get my website back? – Once you delete your account, all of your websites associated with that account will disappear, and are permanently deleted. There is no way to recover the webpages, so ensure you are certain you would like to delete your account.
- How long will it take for my website to disappear? – As is true for how quickly your website was published, this process should take place instantaneously (in theory), or at least within a matter of minutes, and you will no longer be able to access it. However, it can take up to a couple of weeks for the indexing of your website to be fully removed from the Internet.
- How can I change your website domain name without deleting my account? – You can change your domain by accessing your general settings, and clicking Change, and then you can try new domain names until you find one that is available. This does not require starting over, and there is no need to delete your account.
- Consider manually deleting your content first – Though Weebly should delete all of the content associated with any of your pages linked to your deleted account, it is always a good idea to manually delete the majority of the content on your webpages, particularly any sensitive information.
Remember, once you delete your account, all websites and other content associated with your account on Weebly will be permanently gone, including any websites that you have published! But if you’re okay with that, then this wraps up our lesson on how to delete your Weebly account!