Want to nix your Wix account? After using this website for building websites, you may be ready to move on to developing and hosting your own webpage, or maybe you’ve decided to go with one of Wix’s competitors like Weebly.com. In any case, we can take you through the process of deleting your Wix account, as it is a bit more complex than you might imagine. To delete your Wix account:
- Go to www.Wix.com and log into your account.
- Cancel any premium plans that you have with Wix.
- Delete any websites that you’ve made with Wix.
- If you have created or connected custom domains with Wix, transfer them away or delete them.
- Go to the “Delete Account” page, fill out the form, and submit your request.
Woah… that’s a lot of stuff to do just to delete your account! Well, we hear you, and that’s why we’re going to spell everything out in black and white below.
Detailed instructions for how to cancel your Wix account
1. Log into your Wix account.
If you forget how to do this, check the second section of this tutorial.
2. Cancel any of your Wix premium plans.
If you have purchased an upgraded Wix plan, you will need to cancel it. To do so, start by moving your mouse cursor over the profile icon in the top-right corner of your main Wix screen, and selecting Billing & Payments from the drop-down menu that appears.
From there, you should see a section called “Package Subscriptions”. Click Manage beside the premium plan that you want to cancel, and then click Cancel Plan (it’s next to “Next Payment”).
3. Delete all of your Wix websites.
Yep, you’re going to have to erase all of those wonderful Wix websites that you made before you can close your account. To do so, from your main Wix screen, start by clicking the My Sites menu, and then click Select Site beside the website that you want to delete.
From there, click Manage Site below the website’s name in the panel on the left.
Under “Site Actions” in the main pane, click Delete Site. (Click Delete Site again to confirm this.)
4. If you made a custom domain with Wix, move it to another domain.
If you purchased a custom domain name through Wix, you will either need to transfer it to a different Wix account, or else to another website host (like some of the Wix alternatives that we mentioned). To do so, start by moving your mouse cursor over the profile icon in the top-right corner of your main Wix screen, and then clicking Domains in the menu that drops down.
From there, click the arrow icon next to the website that you want to transfer. Then, click the Advanced tab, and then click either Transfer to a Different Wix Account or Transfer Away from Wix. If you’re transferring the website to a different Wix account, enter the email and password of the Wix account that you want to transfer the website to, and then click Transfer. If you want to transfer your website to an entirely different service, however, click Send Code, and forward the email that you get to your new website host.
If that’s all confusing to you, there’s a more in-depth tutorial for it on Wix.
5. If you connected a custom domain to Wix, delete it.
If you already had a pre-existing custom website, perhaps with another service like Wix, and you transferred it to Wix (in order to take advantage of Wix’s super-easy editing options), you will need to remove it from Wix. To do so, start by moving your mouse cursor over the profile icon in the top-right corner of your main screen on Wix, and then clicking the Domains option in the drop-down menu that appears.
From there, click the arrow icon beside the website that you wish to remove from Wix. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Remove Domain from Wix. Click Yes, Remove It to confirm that you wish to remove this domain from Wix, and then click Close to close the window.
The process is quite similar to the previous step, so see the tutorial on Wix that we linked to if you’re having trouble.
6. Go to the “Delete Account” help page on Wix, and enter your account email address and password.
There is a special page that you need to go to on Wix in order to delete your account, which is here. On this page, click in the box labelled “Email” and type in the email address that you signed up for Wix with. Then, click in the box labelled “Password” and type in the password that you chose to protect your Wix account. Finally, click Request Deletion.
Notes for cancelling your Wix account
When you decide you’re finished with Wix, cancelling your account is not quite as simple as with most other websites. Remember the following things when cancelling your account:
- Just because you stop using it or editing it, your webpage will not just disappear. Make sure you follow step 4 above, and move your Wix domain to another host, or another Wix page when you’ve finished with it.
- You can cancel your paid Wix subscription without deleting your account or webpage. Simply follow step 2 from above to cancel your premium plan, and your webpage will be reverted back to the free Wix service. Some elements may change because you no longer pay for the additional features, but the website will still function, and you should be able to keep many basic elements.
- Ensure you have cancelled your Wix subscription if you pay for it, and follow up with your billing method to confirm that you are no longer being billed. You must have completed all the steps above to no longer need to pay for your Wix subscription.
- You can cancel a Wix premium subscription within 14 days of signing up to receive a full refund. Your webpage will be reverted back to the free format of Wix, leaving you free to try out a premium price plan without penalty for two weeks.
Wix will check your account to make sure that you have deleted and cancelled all of the required components of your account, and then your Wix account will be gone.