PayPal is a tool that manages your financial information when you shop or transfer money online, so you don’t have to give it to every website that requires you to pay money for something. While this increases your online security and privacy a bit, it still makes you vulnerable if your PayPal account itself isn’t well protected. If you need to give your PayPal account a stronger password — or at least a fresh one — here’s what to do.
By the way, we have some tips on how to beef up your online passwords in our How to Make a Strong Password tutorial.
To change your PayPal password:
- Go to www.paypal.com and log in.
- Click the gear icon to access your PayPal profile and settings.
- Click the Security tab, and then click Edit beside “Password”.
- Type in your current password, a new password, and a copy of your new password, and then click Change Password.
It’s not all that hard to do, but all the same, we’ll show you what the process looks like in action below.
Detailed instructions for changing your PayPal password
1. Go to PayPal and sign in.
Our How to Transfer Money to PayPal tutorial has full instructions on how to log into PayPal. See steps 1 and 2, specifically. Check it out here.
2. Access your PayPal account profile and settings.
Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of your main PayPal screen to access your PayPal profile and settings.
3. Access your “Security” settings, and submit a request to edit your password.
Once you’re on your PayPal settings page, click the Security tab, and then click Edit beside where it says “Password”.
4. Enter your current password, choose a new password, provide a copy of your new password, and confirm the password change.
Click in the box that says “Current Password” and type in the password that you are currently using to protect your PayPal account. Then, click in the box labelled “New Password” and type in the password that you want to use to protect your PayPal account from now on. Then click in the box labelled “Confirm New Password” and type in a copy of the password that you just picked. Finish up by clicking Change Password.
That’s how to give your PayPal account a new password if you’re already able to log into your PayPal account. If you can’t get into your account because you’ve forgotten your password, see our next tutorial: How to Reset Your PayPal Password.