If you want to tighten up the security a bit on your Pinterest account, you can change your password. If you use Pinterest a lot, you might want to change your password every so often in order to keep snoopers out of your account. In this tutorial, we’ll explain how you can do that, step-by-step.
To change your Pinterest password:
- Go to www.pinterest.com and sign into your account.
- Click your profile icon in the top-right corner to access your page.
- Click the gear icon, and click Change Your Password…
- In the highlighted boxes, enter your old password, your new password, and confirm.
- Click Change Password.
If you need a little more information, read the instructions with detail and images below.
Detailed Instructions for changing a Pinterest password
1. Visit www.pinterest.com and sign in to your account using your old password.
Visit the website in your web browser of choice and log in.
2. Access your Pinterest profile page.
Click on your profile icon in the top-right corner of the screen to access your personal Pinterest page. This will take you to your profile.
3. Access your personal account settings.
Click the gear icon at the top of the page. This will, take you to your settings, and by default, your “Account Settings.”
4. Find the link to change your password.
On this page, click the red link to Change Your Password… This will open up a form for you, where you can choose a new password.
5. Choose a new password for your account and enter it in the password form.
Click in the box labelled "Old Password" and type in the password that you're currently using. Then, click in the box labelled "New Password" and type in the password that you would like to use for this account. Click in the box labelled "Type it Again" and type in a copy of your new password. (All of them will appear as bullet points to protect them from prying eyes). Finally, click Change Password.
Tips for changing your password
- Include letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Use both upper-case and lower-case letters.
- Make it as long as possible, with a minimum of 10 characters.
- Don’t use birthdays, anniversaries, license plate numbers, or information that is easy for others to obtain.
- Make it unique, and somewhat random.
For more tips on changing your passwords, check out our TechBoomers tutorial on how to make a strong password here.
And that’s how you change your password, so be sure to store it in a safe place! If you are trying to change your password because you have forgotten it or cannot log in for some reason, you may be better off reading our next tutorial on how to reset your Pinterest password instead.