One of the neat things about Google is that a single Google account can access almost all of its services, such as Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Google Finance, Google Drive, and so on. So if you've already created an account with one of Google's other services, such as these, then you don't need to register for Google Voice – you already have! If this is your first time using a Google service, though, we'll show you how to sign up with Google Voice here.
To create a Google Voice account:
1. Go to Google Voice and ask to create a new account.
Go to www.google.com/voice. You will be asked to log into your Google account. Assuming that you don't have one yet, click Create Account.
2. Fill in your personal information to create your new Google account.
In the box on the right side of the page, you will enter the information necessary for setting up your Google account.
Click in each of the fields pictured in the screenshot above and type in or select:
- Your first and last name
- Your email address (or click I Would Like a New Gmail Address to create a new Gmail address)
- A password to protect your account
- A copy of the password you picked
- The month, day, and year you were born
- Your gender
- Your mobile phone number (click the flag icon to change your country code)
3. Provide your location, pass the security check, and accept the terms and conditions of the account.
Additionally, you will have to tell Google where you're from, so click the drop-down menu labelled "Location" and select the country you're from.
You may also have to pass a security check to create your account. If you do, click in the field labelled "Type the Text" and type in the letters or numbers that you see in the picture above the box. If you're having trouble, click the refresh icon to get a new picture, or the speaker icon to try an audio security challenge instead.
Finally, click the check box to say that you agree to abide by Google's rules when using the account. Then click Next Step.
4. Skip editing your profile and go straight to your new Google account.
You may be asked to create a profile for Google Plus. If you'd rather not edit your account profile right now, click No Thanks.
That's it! You're done creating your Google account, so you can now start using Google Voice! One of the first things you should do is get a Google Voice number, which we'll cover in the next lesson.