Lyft is similar to Uber, in that its functions are carried out on its application for your mobile device rather than on a website. However, you can visit www.lyft.com to obtain more information about Lyft. This tutorial will help you get started with Lyft by learning how to download and install the Lyft app on your mobile phone. We’ll then show you how to verify and create your Lyft account.
Just a heads-up that some of the services we’re reviewing here have affiliate partnerships with us, so we may earn a commission if you visit one of them and buy something. You can read more about how this works at https://techboomers.com/how-to-support-techboomers.
We’ll be doing this on an Android-powered phone, but for an iPhone, the process will be very similar. Remember that Lyft currently only operates on Android or Apple mobile phones. The app does not support other smart phones or Wi-Fi devices such as an iPod touch.
To download and install the Lyft app
- Turn on your Android-powered phone or iPhone and look for the Google Play/App Store program. Tap it to open it.
- Tap the search box at the top of the screen, and use your (virtual) keyboard to type in “Lyft.” You will see a Lyft box come to the top of your screen. Tap that.
- On the new screen, tap Install (or on an Apple device, tap Get and then Install).
- On an Android device, you will be notified of what parts of your phone the Lyft app might need access to in order to function properly. Tap Accept.
If you’re using an Apple device, you may be asked to log into your Apple Account before you go any further. Do so, or if you don’t have an Apple Account, click this link and follow the instructions in order to set one up.
- The Lyft app will automatically begin downloading and installing. When it finishes, tap Open to begin using it.
To sign up for Lyft
- Once you have the Lyft app open, tap Sign Up in the bottom-right corner.
- You then need to enter your mobile phone number, using either your device’s (virtual) keyboard or the numbers on the screen. Once you have done so, tap the check box that says you agree to Lyft’s Terms of Service. Then, select Next, the large purple button at the bottom.
- At this point, Lyft will send a 4-digit verification code to your mobile phone via SMS (text) message. It is likely that Lyft will pull the code automatically from your message and move you on to the next screen. However, if it doesn’t, use the numbers or your device’s (virtual) keyboard to type in this code, and then press Next at the bottom.
- On this screen, all that you need to do is tap in each of the boxes highlighted here and you’re your device’s (virtual) keyboard to type in:
- your first name
- your last name
- your email address
When you’ve entered all of your information, tap Next one final time.
That’s it! You’re all set to start using Lyft! To request your first ride, visit our next tutorial, how to use Lyft.