Looking to fly the friendly skies on your next out-of-town trip? Expedia lets you:
- Pick whether you want to fly one-way, round-trip, or to multiple destinations.
- Pick the airports that you want to fly to or from. For example, if you want to fly to New York City, you might want to land at John F. Kennedy Airport, or you may want to land at LaGuardia Airport, depending on which is closer to your exact destination.
- Pick what airline you want to fly with. Air Canada, Westjet, American Airlines, United Airlines… Expedia carries listings for most commercial airliners.
- Compare flights based on time, price, and more.
How to Book a Flight on Expedia
- Go to www.expedia.com in your web browser and click Flights in the menu across the top.
- You’ll use the window on the left side of the screen to set things up. Click one of the buttons near the top to select what services you want to book. Then click the buttons below it to select your type of flight. From there, click in the boxes below and type in / select your departure point, date, and time, followed by your arrival point, return date, and return time. You must also click the drop-down menus below these boxes and indicate how many people of particular age groups are going on this flight.
If you click Show Additional Options, you can choose to search for nonstop-only flights or those where you will be eligible for a refund. You can also select a preferred airline or seating arrangement. When you’ve entered all of your information, click Search to look for a flight.
- Now you can look for your desired departing flight. You can click the categories across the top to filter your results by:- Departure time
– Arrival time
– Flight Duration
– PriceYou can also click the check boxes to the left to filter your results by:
– Nonstop vs. stopping flights
– Departure Time
In our example here, we’ve applied a filter so that we only see flights that go to LaGuardia Airport in New York, USA from Lester B. Pearson Airport in Toronto, Canada. We’ve also sorted them by departure time.
Note that the prices listed here are what you will pay for your flight if you select the least expensive return flight; some return flights may cost a little bit more.
Also note that prices may vary based on what version of Expedia’s website you’re using. In this example, we’re using Expedia.ca (the Canadian version), so prices are in Canadian dollars.
Click Select when you find a flight that you like.
- Next, you’ll look for a return flight. You can sort and filter your results the same way you did while searching for an initial flight. Click Select next to a flight that works for you.
- You’ll now see a summary of your booking so far, as well as options to add other services. Scroll to the bottom and click Continue Booking if you’re fine with what you have so far.
- You’ll now have to input your traveler information. All fields marked with an asterisk (*) need to be filled in, including your first and last name, phone number, country which issued your passport, gender, and date of birth (month, day, year). Be sure to enter your information exactly as it is on your passport or driver’s license (whichever you’ll be presenting to the airline when you check in at the airport).
You can click on any of the additional options here if, for example, you want a specific seat on the plane or need special help for getting on and off the aircraft. When you’ve entered all of your information, click Continue Booking.
- There are three things you need to do on the next screen. The first thing is decide if you want a travel protection plan. We’ll assume that you don’t, since travel insurance does basically the same things. Click the button beside “No, I don’t need travel protection.”
- Next, you’ll need to put in your billing information. First is your payment information, so click in each of the boxes and type in or select your credit card number, its expiration date (month and year), ID number (click What’s This? for help finding it), and your name as it appears on the card.
Next, under “Billing Address,” click in each of the boxes and type in or select your country of residence, street address, city, region, and mailing code.
- Finally, you’ll have to tell Expedia where to send your booking confirmation. Click the box beside “Email Address” and type in the email address that you want Expedia to use to contact you with.You can also click the check box here to remove the check if you don’t want Expedia to send you extra offers.
- The last window here contains terms, conditions, and other information that you’ll want to review before your trip. Click Print or Save in the top-right corner if you want to do that later. Otherwise, click Complete Booking to receive a confirmation email.
Congratulations on booking your flight using Expedia! If you need a hotel to go with your flight booking, check out our tutorial on how to book hotels on Expedia.