Now that you know a bit about how Foursquare works, and have learned about how much it can cost you, we thought we’d share our review of Foursquare.com with you. We'll break down the pros and cons of this local business and event directory so that you know exactly what you’re getting in to, and can decide if it is the website or app for you.
- Find anything you need, fast! – Foursquare can help you find exactly what you're looking for in your local area quickly. Simply search for the type of facility you’re looking for (restaurant, nightclub, something in a particular city, etc.), and it will show you the closest things around you that match what you’re looking for. If you download the app, you can take it with you on the go, gaining the convenience of finding things around you while you’re out.
- Avoid disappointment or misrepresentation – Because Foursquare has reviews and tips for its users, you can learn all about a business or location before you even get there. Never again will a place trick you into thinking you’re getting something you’re not, because real people have been there, reviewed it, and told you exactly what’s in store for you.
- It learns what you love as you use it – The more you use Foursquare, the more accurately it can make suggestions for you. In other words, it helps you find places that you might love based on places you already like! This is particularly useful when you’re visiting a new city, as Foursquare can tell you the places to go in that city based on ones you like at home!
- Not as many reviews as other websites – Though Foursquare is useful for finding businesses and fun things you’d love, it doesn’t have quite as many users as more established websites like TripAdvisor.com. Not as many businesses have been added to their collection, and (therefore) not as many reviews are there to help you.
- Spam messages are often present – Some users use the tips and reviews section of the website to promote their own businesses, though this likely has nothing to do with what you are looking for on Foursquare. Also, owners can add fake reviews about their place of business, so be wary of taking every review you see to be entirely truthful.
The Bottom Line: 7/10
Foursquare is useful to many people who love exploring new places in their city, or who want recommendations for places to go when in an unfamiliar city. Foursquare not only helps you search for facilities in your area and find the best places to socialize, but also recommends new places to visit based on ones that you already like. You can access reviews of your local businesses, and read thousands of travel tips and tricks for areas you’re unfamiliar with.
However, there are a few drawbacks to Foursquare. The main one is that its resources and user base are not as extensive as exiting websites that provide similar services; not as many people use Foursquare as websites like TripAdvisor, for example. This means that there are not nearly as many reviews you can view, filters you can add to a search, or users you can contact to learn more about an area or location. There is also the potential for spam on the website, as many local businesses advertise for themselves while appearing as regular users. (To learn more about spam, visit our tutorial on how to stop spam). This can make it difficult to determine what advice is actually beneficial to you.
That’s our opinion on the Foursquare website and app. To learn more about some other websites with greater numbers of users and reviews, check out our article on the best sites like Foursquare (here). If you’re interested in learning more about how to use Foursquare, our course has step-by-step tutorials on how to use the Foursquare website and how to download and use the app.