Looking for information on a specific book on Goodreads? The most common criteria that you can use to search for it are the book's name, author, or international standard book number (I.S.B.N.). But there are other things that you can look for about a book on Goodreads, too! And it's all relatively easy to do!
Go to www.goodreads.com in your web browser and log in.
Click in the search box across the top (it will say "Author / Title / ISBN" if it's empty) and type in a book's name, author, or ISBN to search for it. As you do so, Goodreads will give you suggestions as to what book you might be looking for.
You can click a result in the list that appears to go directly to that book, or click the magnifying glass () icon (or press the "Enter" key on your keyboard) to search for exactly what you typed in.
On the next screen, you will be able to see the results for what you searched for.
At the top of the results page, if you want to perform a new search, click in the search box (it will say "Search by Book Title, Author, or ISBN" if it's empty) and type in something new to search for. Then click Search. You can also click one of the buttons below this box to search for "All" results, by "Title", by "Author", or by "Genre".
In addition, you can click one of the tabs above the results to see different kinds of results, including:
- Books: books found by name, author, or ISBN
- Groups: virtual book clubs on Goodreads whose descriptions match your search terms
- Quotes: passages that contain your search terms, or that are by people or in books that match your search terms
- Events: Book club meetings, author appearances, and other events posted on Goodreads whose descriptions match your search terms
-Stories: original works by Goodreads users whose descriptions or texts contain your search terms
- People: users on Goodreads whose (user) names contain your search terms
- Listopia: lists of favourite books of users on Goodreads, which contain descriptions, books, or authors that match your search terms
- Trivia: fun knowledge-testing questions related to authors or books that match your search terms
Click on a part of a result in gold font for more information.
That's pretty much all there is to searching on Goodreads! Pretty easy, right?
TechBoomers offers free articles that teach people how to use technology to make their lives easier (and more fun!). To support our work, some of our content contains links to websites that pay us affiliate commissions when our users visit them through us and make purchases. Learn more about how this works.
Learn how to use
Was something in this tutorial missing, confusing, or out of date? Or did it give you all the information you needed, and you just want to say "thanks"? We'd love to hear what you thought!