What is a Facebook Group?
A Facebook group is an easy way to connect with people across the globe that share similar interests as you. You can be a part of a book club, or join a group that’s dedicated to supporting a worthy cause. You can even create your own group. As part of a group, you’ll be able to plan events and share information with other group members, even if they aren’t on your friends list.
Types of Facebook Groups
There are three types of Facebook groups:
- Open – Anyone can see the group and its posts, and anyone can join.
- Closed – Anyone can see the group name, but its posts can only be seen by members. To join this group, you must receive and accept an invitation from a group member, or send a request to join the group and have it approved by a group member.
- Secret – You can only join this type of group if a current member invites you. Only current and former members can see the group’s name, and only current members can see posts.
How to join a Facebook Group
On the left-hand menu of your News Feed, under “Groups”, select Find New Groups.
Here you can groups that Facebook suggests based on your interests, groups your friends are in, or groups that are based in your geographical area. Simply click Join Group to join an open group or ask to join a closed group.
If you couldn’t find a group that suits you, but have an idea of a type of group you’d like to join, simply click on the main Facebook search bar and type in what you’re looking for. Then, select See More Results in the drop down menu.
Select Groups to filter your search results. You can search for any type of group, from book clubs to music lovers to movie fanatics.
Why create a Facebook Group?
Facebook groups is a great way to connect with a specific group of people:
- You can create a family-specific group to communicate privately with people in your family.
- Create community groups to keep in touch with friends from the same geographical area.
- Create an interest-based group to connect with people who have similar interests and hobbies as you.
How to create a Facebook Group
- Create a Facebook group by going to the left-hand menu of your News Feed. Under “Groups”, select Create Group.
- Here you are able to set your own group name, select the type of privacy for the group, and invite as many of your friends as you want. To invite friends to the group, click the Members box, start typing in their name. and then click the full name of the person with the mouse (or press the “Enter” when they are highlighted).
- To remove someone you’ve already added in the “Members” section, click the “X” beside their name.
- When you are done, click Create.
Once you create your group, you’ll be redirected to the group homepage. You get to personalize it just like you did your profile. You can create a description and upload a cover photo.
You can also add more friends by clicking in the search box in the right-hand column, typing in their names, and then clicking to select them. You can also click Invite by Email to invite them by email.
Facebook Group Settings
When you’re on your group page, you’ll be able to change the settings for it by going to clicking the options button () and selecting Edit Group Settings.
From here you can change the name of your group, edit the description, change the type of group it is (open, closed, secret), and more.
And that’s a brief introduction of how to join, create, and edit groups on Facebook!