Now that you know what YouTube is and how it works, and you’ve learned about how to stay safe while using YouTube, you’re probably wondering if using YouTube is going to cost you anything. In this article, we’ll explain how YouTube makes money, and whether or not YouTube is free to use. To find everything you need to know, read on!
YouTube is free to sign up for, and to use. There are no limits on how many videos can be watched, or how many times you can watch a video. The only exceptions to this are some full-length movies and television show seasons, which may cost money to view, but YouTube makes this very clear to its users beforehand.
We've mentioned one revenue stream for YouTube: paid-for on-demand viewing of certain full-length movies and television show seasons. However, this is a relatively new feature for YouTube, brought out to compete with other popular video-streaming services (such as Netflix and Hulu). Being purchased for over $1.65 billion in November of 2006 by Internet giant Google also certainly helped YouTube's bank account. But there are a few other ways that YouTube generates revenue.
YouTube makes money primarily through advertising. Rather than the banner ads you see on many websites, YouTube places advertisements on videos, either a short video ad before (similar to a commercial) or a pop-up image and text during the video. Occasionally, these ads can be skipped or closed after a length of time.
YouTube also has a program called "YouTube Partners" where, if a user's videos are popular enough, they can split the advertising revenue with YouTube. The user typically takes 55% of the advertising revenue for their own videos, with the other 45% going to YouTube. Over 1 million users on YouTube are part of this program; some are private individuals, while others are major corporations who have licensed YouTube to display their advertisements and other exclusive content.
And that's a little bit about how YouTube makes money! If you’re interested in signing up for YouTube now that you know it’s free, considering reading our tutorial on how to create a YouTube account. If you’re not quite there yet, check out our next article where we review the pros and cons of YouTube to help you determine what your YouTube experience will be like.
TechBoomers offers free articles that teach people how to use technology to make their lives easier (and more fun!). To support our work, some of our content contains links to websites that pay us affiliate commissions when our users visit them through us and make purchases. Learn more about how this works.
Learn how to use
Was something in this tutorial missing, confusing, or out of date? Or did it give you all the information you needed, and you just want to say "thanks"? We'd love to hear what you thought!