To visit Senior Planet, type www.seniorplanet.org into your web browser’s address bar and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
Senior Planet’s Main Page
Below is a screenshot of what the top of Senior Planet’s main page looks like. The blue numbers highlight points of interest; see the numbered captions below the screenshot for explanations of what you’ll find at each spot.
1. Main menu – You can navigate to most of the main sections on Senior Planet from here:
- Home takes you back to the main page.
- Features is a list of the top news stories about or concerning older adults that Senior Planet has found.
- Calendar shows you a list of events designed for older adults, either put on by Senior Planet itself or located around the New York City area. Some events are added by Senior Planet itself, while others are added by its users. Our article on Senior Planet events has more information.
- Tech Tips features articles that help you do something with your computer or other electronic device.
- Best of Tech contains reviews of technology products recommended by Senior Planet, either because they’re designed with seniors in mind or because they’re really easy and/or advantageous to use for older adults.
- Guides to Life are articles with advice on general well-being for older adults (money, work, food, relationships, etc.)
- The Center tells you more about the Senior Planet Exploration Center, which is Senior Planet’s HQ.
- About explains what Senior Planet is, who’s involved with it, what the news has to say about it, and how to contact Senior Planet or get involved with it yourself.
2.Search site – Click in this box and type in a word or phrase that you want to look for on any of the pages of Senior Planet. Then click the search button () and see what you find!
3. Social media buttons – Click any of these buttons to go to Senior Planet’s page on a specific social media website.
4. Newsletter sign-up – Click in the box marked “Email Address,” type in your email address, and then click the send button () to get emails from Senior Planet about upcoming events or neat new articles that older adults will enjoy!
5. Donate – If you’re feeling generous, click here to go to Senior Planet’s page on New York Charities, where you can make a donation to them. Our lesson on how to support Senior Planet will show you how it works.
There are a few more things on the bottom of the page, too. Again, the numbered captions will explain what we’ve pointed out with each colored number.
1. ARGH! – If you’re having trouble using Senior Planet’s website, or something on it isn’t working like you think it should be, click the link at the bottom of this box, fill out the form, and click Submit. Senior Planet’s support team will help you work through the problem.
2. Site Policies – Click here to see things about Senior Planet like its legal safeguards and how you’re supposed to act on the website.
3. Feedback – Click here and fill out a form to tell Senior Planet what they could do to improve, or just leave a few kind words of praise. Then click Submit.
4. Contact Us – Click here to see the different ways to get in touch with Senior Planet or its parent organization, Older Adults Technology Services (O.A.T.S.). This includes where Senior Planet’s headquarters is and how to get to it using New York City’s public transportation.
Senior Planet Article List
If you click on Features, Tech Tips, Best of Tech, or Guides for Life, you’ll see a screen that looks like this.
1. Author – Click the author’s name to see a list of all articles on Senior Planet by that author.
2. Comments – Click here to jump immediately to what fellow Senior Planet users have to say about a specific article.
3. Keywords – These are words or short phrases that describe what the article is about. Click one to see a list of all articles that have been assigned that keyword.
4. Read More – Click here to read the full article.
5. Categories – Click one of these headings to see a list of articles from that category. If you click Health/Aging, you will also see a list of sub-categories that you can click to see articles related to them.
One more thing: you can also click Older Posts or Newer Posts to look at previous or more recent posts in the category you’re in, respectively.
Senior Planet Article Page
When you start reading an article, the page will look like this. If you like what you read, click Print This to print it out and save it for later. Be sure to have your printer connected and turned on first!
There’s some other cool stuff that you can do at the bottom of the page, too. For instance, you can click on one of the pictures under “You Might Like” to read an article related to this one, or that you might be interested in based on which articles you look at.
You can also click Previous Article or Next Article to look at the previous or next most recent posts in the category you’re in, respectively.
Finally, if you’ve got something to say about an article you read, you can leave a comment. Here’s how:
Click inside the box near the bottom of the screen that says “Name / Screen Name” and type in your name or common nickname on the Internet.
Click in the box marked “Email” and type in your email address.
Click in the box marked “Comment” and type in what you have to say about the article.
You’ll notice there is a check box here marked “Send Me an Email when Someone Comments on This Article”. You can leave it checked if you want to see if anyone has anything new to say about this article, or you can click it to turn this option off.
When you’re done, click Post Comment.
You can also scroll past this window to see what other people have said about the article you’re reading.