It’s all well and good to look for people whom you might be interested in on Match. But where do you take things from there? And what if you want to reach out to someone if they’ve expressed interest in you?
Just a heads-up that some of the services we’re reviewing here have affiliate partnerships with us, so we may earn a commission if you visit one of them and buy something. You can read more about how this works at https://techboomers.com/how-to-support-techboomers.
Most of the communication features require a paid subscription. (See our How Much does Match.com Cost article.) Once you have one, though, read on to find out how to make a connection!
Emails are probably the most important form of communication on Match. You can find the link to email someone while viewing your matches…
… or while viewing someone’s profile during a search.
Click it to start an email to the person.
You will be taken to the email composition screen, like the one below. We’ve highlighted a few points of interest with red numbers; see the numbered headers below the screenshot for explanations of what we’ve pointed out.
1. Recipient’s Information – This shows you a bit of information about the person you’re sending the email to, in case you need some inspiration as to what to talk about.
2. Information Category Selector – Click here and select an option from the drop-down menu to change what kind of information you see about the recipient, from what they say about themselves to their hobbies and sports interests.
3. Get Tips – If you’re totally stuck as for what to write, click here for a helpful list of “dos and don’ts” when it comes to writing a dating email to someone.
4. Subject – Click in this box and type in what you want the subject of your email to be.
5. Message – Click in this box and type in what you want to say to the email recipient.
6. Save as Draft – Click here if you’re not quite finished your email and want to come back to it later for some edits or final touches.
7. Send Now – When your email looks the way you want it to, click this to send it off to your recipient. Cross your fingers and hope they write back!
Chat / Instant Messaging
Don’t feel like waiting around for a reply to an email? Make your connection right now by chatting with someone who’s currently online!
The easiest way to find someone to chat with is to click Chat in the upper-right corner.
This will open a new sidebar that shows you who in your area is available to chat right now. Move your mouse cursor over the picture of the person whom you wish to chat with to open a pop-up box with more information about them, and then click Chat Now to open the chat window.
Also, if someone who shows up in a search that you do is available to chat, it will say so in their profile thumbnail. Click IM Now to open the chat window.
Once you have the chat window open, click in the box that says “Enter Text…”, type in what you want to say, and then press the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
When you’re done chatting with that person, click the “X” button to close the chat window.
Are you the shy type? Just can’t figure out what would be the best way to approach that person you like? Or maybe you just want them to take the lead? Try a “wink” to let them know you’re really interested in them, without having to say a single word! Best of all, you don’t even need a paid membership to use this feature!
Whenever you’re viewing someone’s quick profile or full profile, just click Wink For Free. That’s all there is to it!
The recipient will be notified that you gave them a “wink”. If they like you, too, they might send a “wink” back, or even send you an email or start a chat with you. You’ll never know unless you try!
Well, those are the basic ways that you can communicate with someone over Match! Here’s hoping that you can use at least one of them to get some chemistry going with someone!