Now that you know what Meetup is, and how much it may cost you, you’re probably starting to wonder whether or not it will be a website that you want to use. In this article, we’ll break down the pros and cons of Meetup to help you decide if it’s right for you, and if you can feel safe while using it.
Just a heads-up that some of the services we’re reviewing here have affiliate partnerships with us, so we may earn a commission if you visit one of them and buy something. You can read more about how this works at https://techboomers.com/how-to-support-techboomers.
To begin, let’s talk about Meetup safety.
How safe is Meetup?
Meetup is as safe as other social media websites, so long as you exercise caution when meeting with those you are connected to through the website. You can also report abusive users to keep them accountable for their actions, and ensure that everyone using the website can meet in a safe environment.
And now we’ll outline for you the pros and cons of Meetup to help you make the decision about whether or not you should start using it.
- Make new friends – Meetup puts you in touch with like-minded people who want to do the same activities you do. You can make long-lasting friendships with people you wouldn’t have otherwise met, and expand your social group with people you know you have something in common with.
- Find numbers for your activities – Sometimes you may know what you like to do, and even have a couple of people to do it with, but require a larger number of people for the specific activity. You can find these extra people to complete your team or group, or just grow your group larger with more people!
- Meet with others in a monitored environment – Meetup groups generally involve larger numbers of people meeting in public places, which can increase your personal safety. The website also offers a function to report abusive users, and organizers have the power to remove abusive group members. Simply send a message or an email to the organizer to report any concerns you have, and they will take the appropriate actions.
- Safety concerns – Despite the ability to report other users, you are still meeting with people who are often strangers. This poses potential risks to your safety, especially because Meetup has no identity verification process. Anyone with an email address can sign up and appear however they like on the website, so you must be careful when meeting in person with other users.
- Potential inadvertent costs – Though it is free to use, some organizers will charge group membership fees. They may also make you responsible for your own supplies, meals, and transportation, meaning that some groups may become costly over time.
The Bottom Line: 8.5/10
Meetup is a unique website with many positive attributes that make it appeal to anyone. You can find all sorts of groups on Meetup, and will likely find a group that wants to get together to do some of your favorite things! You’re also likely to make some new friends, and maybe even enjoy the activities you love even more because you get to do them with others.
There are some potential safety concerns associated with Meetup, in that you will most likely be interacting with people whom you don’t know very much about. However, there are precautions you can take to avoid unsafe situations that may occur due to using Meetup. Remember also to think about all the possible fees associated with a group before joining.
Is Meetup worth it?
Meetup is worth it for you if you love the kinds of activities that are best done in a group, and can be flexible about when your group meets. It’s also useful if you’re looking to expand your social circles. It’s free to use by itself, so it’s an inexpensive way to get together with people who share your interests.
That’s our review of Meetup! If, after reading this, you think you’re ready to register for Meetup, check out our next tutorial on how to sign up for a Meetup account. Then, make sure you read our guide on how to use Meetup, so you can make the most out of it without missing a beat.