Now that we've covered what OkCupid is, how much it can cost, and assessed how safe it is, it’s time to review the service. Will OkCupid help you find the love of your life, or will it fill your life with meaningless notifications? In our OkCupid review, we highlight the pros and cons of this service for you.
- Free to start, and mostly free to use – It is 100% free to sign up for and use OkCupid. Certain aspects require you to upgrade to the A-List, but a user can easily be matched with people in their area, and interact with them without needing to pay for anything.
- Instant Connections – Signing up for OkCupid is very quick, because you only have to input a small amount of information, and answer 7 questions. From that, you are instantly matched with people and can view the profiles of hundreds (or thousands) of users in your area. You can also instantly message and talk to other users the second you complete the OkCupid sign up.
- Question and Answer = Better Matches – Though you only need to answer 7 initial questions, OkCupid has a bank of hundreds of questions that you can answer at your own pace. These contain much greater details about your personality, and are even sorted into categories such as lifestyle, ethics, or dating preferences. As you view users, you can see their answers to the same questions you have answered – or answer more to reveal their answers! The more questions you answer, the higher your potential match percentage goes up. This is a great way to get to know people, especially because OkCupid allows you to explain any answer you give if you feel the multiple choice options don’t truly describe how you feel.
- Unwanted Messages – Because there is no large initial questionnaire on OkCupid like there is on other dating websites, only 7 basic questions determine your Match % with another user. Any user in your area can message you once you create a profile, regardless of how good of a match you are. In addition, unless you choose to hide a user in your privacy settings, any OkCupid user has the ability to message you or view your profile as frequently as they like.
- No Verification or Pre-Screening – Any person can sign up for OkCupid, as long as they have an email. It is extremely easy to be dishonest about your personal details, and still gain access to all of the OkCupid users. Though that makes sign up quick, it also means that the users are vulnerable to frequent online scams, and interacting with users who are not who they say they are.
- Question and Answer = A Long Process – Though the detailed questions are great for increasing your chances of finding a good match on OkCupid, it can be an extremely long process to get to the point where you’re interacting with users you are compatible with. You also need to have answered the same question as any other user in order to see how they answered the question (unless you upgrade your account to the A-List).
The bottom line: 7.5 / 10
OkCupid offers instant connections to users, and it is incredibly easy to interact with your matches. Because of this, the type of relationship people are looking for is extremely varied. The more questions you answer, the more likely you are to make a good connection with your match, so if you use OkCupid, take some time to answer a few questions each time you log on.
It is very easy to use this site without needing to pay, however, the paid subscription options they offer through the A-List could be beneficial to some, depending on your preferences. There is no form of verification for OkCupid, and literally anyone can create an account without being screened – so take extra care to ensure your privacy is protected and you are safe while using OkCupid. For safety tips, visit our previous tutorial.
If you'd like to see how OkCupid stacks up compared to other similar dating websites, check out our article on the Best 6 Websites like OkCupid!
Anyway, that’s the basic good and bad of OkCupid. If you think you’d like this dating site based on our OkCupid reviews, check out our next lesson on how to sign up for OkCupid.