Have you booked travel accommodations through Priceline.com and need to cancel your booking? Or, are you considering booking, but want to ensure you’ll be able to cancel it if your plans change? In this article, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about Priceline’s cancellation policy, and show you how to cancel a booking you might have already made.
What is Priceline’s cancellation policy?
Generally, cancelling an accommodation through Priceline is subject to the cancellation policies of the airline, hotel (chain), or rental car company that you are booking with. However, in general, bookings made through the “Name Your Own Price” or “Express Deals” systems cannot be cancelled or changed.
The only exception is if you use either of these systems to book a hotel, and then need to book additional days (due to inclement weather, personal emergencies, or other changes to travel plans). In this circumstance, Priceline may be able to help you change your booking itinerary.
Be sure to read the cancellation policy of the airline, hotel, or car rental company carefully. It can usually be found while you’re in the process of booking your accommodation, or it may be accessible from your itinerary (which we’ll show you how to find below).
How to cancel a flight, hotel, or car rental booking on Priceline:
- Go to www.priceline.com in your web browser.
- Hover your cursor over My Trips and click View, Print, or Email Your Itinerary.
- Enter the information associated with your booking, then click Continue.
- If your booking is eligible for cancellation, you’ll be able to start cancelling your booking.
If those instructions were a little too short for you, and you’d like some additional guidance, read our detailed instructions with pictures for how to cancel a booking below.
Detailed instructions for how to cancel a Priceline flight, hotel, or car rental booking
1. Access your flight, hotel, or car rental booking itinerary.
Open your web browser and go to www.priceline.com. In the upper-right corner, move your mouse cursor over the My Trips menu and select View, Print, or Email Your Itinerary.
2. Enter your email address and the trip identification number associated with your booking.
Click in the boxes labelled “Email Address” and “Trip Number” and type in your email address and the ID number on your itinerary (which you should have printed out after making your booking; it may also be found in your email inbox).
If you can’t find your itinerary ID number for some reason, click the check box labelled “I Don’t Have My Trip Number.” Then, click in the two new boxes that appear and type in, respectively, your email address and the last four digits of your credit card number.
When you’re all set, click Continue.
3. If your booking is eligible for cancellation, the next step will be to start the process of cancelling your Priceline booking.
Priceline should be able to find your itinerary for you. If your booking is eligible to be cancelled or changed, you should be able to find a link to let you do it (i.e. it should say “Change My Flight” or “Cancel My Car Rental” or something to that effect). Click on it, make any changes you need to (which shouldn’t be too different from the process of originally booking your accommodation), and then confirm your changes.
5 tips for cancelling a Priceline booking
- Keep in mind that if you booked your accommodations using Priceline’s “Name Your Own Price” feature or “Express Deals” feature, you may not be able to make changes to or cancel your booking. Part of the reason why they are able to offer these deals is because they don’t allow people to easily cancel their bookings.
- Have all of your itinerary and booking information handy. This will be helpful if you happen to need it during the cancellation process.
- Be patient. Travel websites don’t usually make it incredibly simple, quick, or easy to cancel bookings, but if you stay calm and take your time, you’ll have a better time getting through the process.
- Remember that you can easily get a hold of customer service if you have questions or need help. They can be reached through online chat, by email, or on the phone.
- Try contacting the airline, hotel, or car rental company that you booked with directly. One of these parties should be able to help you get your booking changed or cancelled.
Now you know what to do if you have a change of plans and need to alter or cancel your booking made through Priceline!