Have you been locked out of your WeChat account because you forgot your password? Need to know how to reset your password? We’ve got you covered here with our step-by-step instructions so you can get right back in today!
To reset your WeChat password:
- Start the WeChat app.
- On the sign-in screen, tap Forgot Password?
- Tap Yes to receive a reset code via SMS message.
- Tap Login via SMS Code.
- Verify your mobile number and tap Next.
- Find the code in your messages, and enter it into the box labelled “Enter Code.” Tap Next.
- Create a new password and tap Done.
Do you need a little more instruction? Below are our instructions with images, where we break down each step in more detail for you.
Detailed instructions for resetting your WeChat password
1. Start the WeChat app and find the sign-in screen.
Even though you can’t remember your password, you will still need to launch the app, and find the sign-in screen as if you were going to log in.
2. Indicate that you’ve forgotten your password.
Tap Forgot Password? on the sign in screen so WeChat knows it needs to help you reset your password.
3. Verify if you can receive messages. Then choose to receive a password reset code via SMS message.
WeChat will ask you if your mobile device can still receive SMS messages; tap Yes if it can. On the next screen, tap Login via SMS Code. Verify your phone number on the next screen, and tap Next in the top-right corner.
4. Locate the code, and enter it in the WeChat app.
WeChat will now send a 4-digit code to your mobile device. Find the code in your messages, and use your keyboard to enter it in the app, in the box labelled “Enter Code.” Tap Next when you’re finished.
WeChat will sign you into your account, and take you to a screen where you can change your password.
5. Create a new password and confirm it, tying it to your account.
In the first field labelled “Enter Password,” use your keyboard to type a new password. In the second field below labelled “Confirm Password,” enter the password again, making sure it is the same. When you’re finished, tap the green Done button in the top-right corner.
When creating your new password, be sure to come up with something you can remember this time! If you need some help, check out our tips below!
Tips for changing your password:
- Create passwords at least 10 characters in length.
- Use letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Use upper-case and lower-case letters.
- Don’t easy-to-guess patterns, common words, or information about you or your family that is easy to obtain.
- Make sure your password is memorable, so you don’t forget it.
To learn more about these tips, and to see some examples of how to put this into practice, be sure to read our TechBoomers article on how to create strong passwords here.
And that’s how you reset your WeChat password. If you simply want to learn how to change or update your password to keep your account secure, check out our next tutorial on how to change your WeChat password.