Sometimes, you'll want to change up how Tumblr works for you, or how one of your blogs behaves. If you need to tinker with your overall Tumblr.com account settings, or the settings for one of your blogs, here's what to do.
1. Open your web browser, go to www.tumblr.com, and log in.
2. Click the account icon in the top-right corner, and then select Settings from the drop-down menu.
3. The Account tab contains general account settings.
Here, you can:
4. The Dashboard tab allows you to change how your main page on Tumblr behaves.
Here, you can:
5. The Notifications tab allows you to select how you receive alerts about activities on your blogs.
Click the pencil icon beside one of your blogs to change your notification settings for that blog. You can choose to have Tumblr email you when someone:
You can also choose whether you want to receive notifications about activity on your blog from nobody, people you follow, or everyone.
Finally, you can choose whether or not you want to receive general emails from Tumblr about blogs that you might be interested in, topics that are popular right now, or other Tumblr stuff.
6. The Apps tab lets you manage any third-party applications that you've connected to your Tumblr account. We haven't connected any, and your options will differ depending on the application, but this is where you can manage them.
7. To set an individual blog's preferences and privacy settings, click on it in the list to the right.
Here, you can:
You might want to consider changing your settings on Tumblr to ensure the security of your account. Tumblr makes it easy for you to increase your own level of safety with things like two-step verification. You can learn more about staying safe on Tumblr if you check out our Tumblr safety article.
You might also want to switch up your account settings if you simply want to change the look of your blog, allow other users to send you questions, or allow people to submit content for you to post. There are lots of different options that can enhance your experience using Tumblr, so having a look at them is a good idea!
That’s all you need to know about changing your privacy and account settings on Tumblr. Be sure to have a look at the rest of our free Tumblr course to learn how to do all sorts of fun things on the site, like how to post content to your blog, how to reblog someone else’s post, and how to change up the look of your blog by adding or creating a Tumblr theme.
TechBoomers offers free articles that teach people how to use technology to make their lives easier (and more fun!). To support our work, some of our content contains links to websites that pay us affiliate commissions when our users visit them through us and make purchases. Learn more about how this works.
Learn how to use
Was something in this tutorial missing, confusing, or out of date? Or did it give you all the information you needed, and you just want to say "thanks"? We'd love to hear what you thought!