Now that you know how to tweet on Twitter, you may be feeling overwhelmed with all of the information you see on Twitter.com. If you’ve hit it big and have a lot of Followers on Twitter, you may be wondering how you’re going to keep track of everything, or make a distinction between different types of Tweets you send. Luckily, Twitter has a way for you to sort your followers, and it’s called Twitter Lists.
Twitter lists are a way for you to keep all your followers organized. You can organize them into categories: one for sports, one for news, one for music, one for friends, etc. You can also subscribe to other people’s lists if they make one that is public – though you do have the option to create private lists.
Creating a Twitter List
- Go to www.twitter.com and log in (if you haven't already). When you get to your home page, click the gear icon in the top right corner and select Lists.
- On the right hand side, click Create New List.
- In the new window, you can click in the boxes labelled "List Name" and "Description" and type in, respectively, a name for your list and some information about it. You can also choose if this list will be public – a list that anyone can subscribe to – or private – a list only you are able to access. When you’re finished, click Save List.
- When you create a list and click on it, you’ll be taken to a Twitter feed that consists of only those in your list. It’s a great way to keep track of your favorite Twitter users and keep up-to-date on what they have to say without individually searching each user.
Adding Users to a Twitter List
- 1. Once you’ve created your Twitter list, you’ll be redirected to the search page where you can start looking for users to add to your list. Click in the box that says "Find Users by Name," type in who you're looking for, and click Search.
- Find a user that you’d like to add and click the gear icon next to their name. A drop-down menu will appear. Select Add or Remove from Lists.
- A window will pop up with all of your lists, and you can add that user to as many of your lists as you’d like. Just click the check box beside the list's name to mark it and add that person to that list. When you’re finished, click the "X" in the top right corner of that window.
Removing a User from a Twitter List
- Go back to your home page on Twitter, click the gear icon in the top right corner, and select Lists.
- Click on the list that you’d like to remove a user from.
- On the left hand side, select List Members to see all of the members in that particular list.
- Click the gear icon next to the list member's name and select Add or Remove from Lists.
- Twitter will show you all of your lists – the ones that are checked off are the lists that this user is included in. To delete them from a list, simply click the check box next to the list to uncheck them. When you’re done, click the "X".
Edit or Delete a Twitter List
Sometimes the theme of your list will change. Or sometimes you’d rather just not have the list. Rather than making a new list or deleting all the members of a list – and still having a list with zero members – you can edit the list or delete it entirely with the click of a button.
- Go back to your Twitter home page, click the gear icon in the top-right corner, and select Lists.
- Click on the name of the list that you’d like to edit.
- On the left hand side, click the Edit button. This will allow you to change the name of the list, its description, and whether it is public or private.
- Next to the Edit button is the Delete button. Click the Delete button and confirm you want to delete the list by clicking Yes.
And that's how to create, edit, and delete lists on Twitter! To learn some more advanced Twitter functions, check out our articles on Twitter privacy, who to follow on Twitter, and Twitter keyboard shortcuts.