What is a Netflix profile?
A Netflix profile is a way to separate what you watch from what another member of your family watches. If, for example, you have a young child who watches mainly shows for children on their profile, they will get recommendations for children’s shows. That’s why it’s a good idea to have everyone who uses your Netflix membership make and use a separate profile.
You’ll learn more about how useful Netflix’s recommendation engine is in our Netflix Recommendations tutorial.
How to Add and Edit Netflix Profiles
- Go to www.netflix.com and log in. When you get to Netflix’s home page, click the drop-down meu in the top-right corner next to your user name, and select Manage Profiles.
- Here you will see a list of your existing profiles, along with the option to add a profile. Select Add Profile to add another person to your account or click Edit beside whichever profile you’d like to edit.
- If you click Add Profile, you can add the user’s name to the profile and select if they are a kid (this will restrict what they can watch to shows suitable for their age). When you are finished, click Continue to add the new profile.
- If you click Edit Profile, you can change the profile name and their avatar. An avatar is an image that represents the user, similar to a Facebook profile picture. To change a person’s avatar, move your mouse cursor over their current avatar, and then select a new one from the list that appears.
- You can also change the user’s age group from the drop down menu. This will filter the types of movies and films they are able to watch based on their age. Choose between Little Kids, Older Kids, Teens, and Adults.Click Done when you are finished for the changes to take effect.
And that’s a quick rundown of how to add and edit Netflix profiles!