Getting newsletter and mailing list emails flooding your inbox can get really overwhelming. Between emails from stores, websites, and other brand emails you might receive, you might find them getting a little annoying over time. If you’re an Outlook user and want to cut down on the number of newsletters you’re receiving, we can help you out and show you how to stop spam email. Here are the sections we’ll be covering with you in this tutorial:
- Why unsubscribe from an email list?
- How to unsubscribe from an Outlook newsletter
- Other ways to unsubscribe from a mailing list with Outlook
Before getting into showing you how to unsubscribe from emails, let’s talk about some of the reasons why we think it’s a good idea to remove yourself from an Outlook email list.
Why unsubscribe from an email list?
- You don’t want to get spam emails – sometimes, stores and companies sending out newsletters can start to feel like spam. Unsubscribing from these emails can help you avoid these annoying emails.
- You’re not shopping at the store that’s emailing you anymore – if you previously subscribed to a mailing list from a store or brand, and no longer enjoy their products, you should remove yourself from their mailing list.
- The newsletter sends out new emails too frequently – some stores send out emails every day or even more often! Nobody wants that many email notifications, right?
- You didn’t intentionally sign up for the mailing list – maybe you somehow accidentally signed up for an email list, or your email address was added to a mailing list without your consent. This is definitely a good reason to unsubscribe.
Now that we’ve gone over some reasons why we think you might want to unsubscribe from a mailing list in Outlook, we’re going to show you exactly how to do it! Move on to the next section to find out how to unsubscribe from mailing lists with Outlook.
How to unsubscribe from an Outlook newsletter
1. In your browser, go to Outlook.com and log in to your account.
On your Mac or PC, launch your favorite web browser and go to Outlook.com. Then, enter your email address and password to sign in to your account.
2. Access your inbox.
After logging in, you should automatically be taken to your main inbox page. If for some reason you don’t see your inbox right after signing in, click Inbox in the menu on the left to get to the right page.
3. Find an email from the newsletter you want to unsubscribe from.
In the second panel from the left, you’ll be able to see a list of all of the emails in your inbox. Scroll through the list until you find an email from the newsletter you’d like to unsubscribe to. Click on an email to open it.
4. At the top of the email window, click Unsubscribe.
When you have an email open from the mailing list you’d like to unsubscribe from, click on Unsubscribe at the top of the email. This should appear just below where the email subject and the sender’s address are located.
5. Click Unsubscribe to confirm that you don’t want to receive emails from this sender anymore.
In the small window that appears on your screen, click the Unsubscribe button to confirm that you no longer wish to be subscribed to this mailing list. Doing this will inform the sender that you want to be removed from their list. Repeat these steps for each of the senders you want to stop receiving emails from.
That’s the easiest way to remove yourself from an email newsletter in Outlook. If you don’t see the “Unsubscribe” option at the top of an email, don’t worry – there are other ways to remove yourself from a mailing list, even if this option does not pop up. Next, we’ll tell you a few other ways for how to unsubscribe from an email list.
Other ways to unsubscribe from a mailing list with Outlook
1. Look through the body of the email for a link to unsubscribe.
Sometimes, newsletter emails will have a link embedded within them, to make it easy for people to unsubscribe. If you don’t find an unsubscribe button from Outlook at the top of the email screen, look through the body of the email to see if there is an unsubscribe link included. These are commonly found at the bottom of newsletter emails.
2. Contact the company sending you messages.
In the rare case that you don’t have an unsubscribe link from Outlook, or an embedded unsubscribe link in the body of the email, you can still get yourself removed from the mailing list by contacting the store, company, or website that’s sending messages to your Outlook account.
To do this, open an email from the mailing list you want to remove yourself from.
Then, click the Reply button near the top.
Now, type in what you’d like your email to say. Something along the lines of “unsubscribe me from this list” should get your point across. Let them know that you don’t want to be included in their mailing list anymore.
When you’re done typing, hit Send at the bottom.
Once the company receives your email, you should be taken off their mailing list.
3. If all else fails, block the address of the sender.
If after a while, you’re still receiving emails from the mailing list you’ve tried to unsubscribe from, you can always just block the sender so that their emails don’t appear in your inbox anymore. To block someone from emailing you on Outlook, open an email from them.
Click the downwards arrow icon in the top right corner. Then, from the dropdown menu that appears below, select Block.
This way, even if you cannot properly be removed from the list, you still won’t receive newsletter emails from the sender you blocked.
Those are all the methods you can use to remove yourself from an email list in Outlook. If you find Outlook isn’t doing the best job at sorting spam emails out of your inbox, you might want to try out Gmail instead. Check out our tutorial on choosing the best free email service where we cover information on security and spam collection to help you find the best service for you.